Kitchen fire causes early morning evacuation of WSU Fraternity

Print Email
Last Updated on Monday, 09 February 2015 07:40

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sunday, February 08, 2015       
Fire prevention officer Rich Dragoo           
Chief Mike Heston

    PULLMAN—Members of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity at Washington State University were evacuated early Sunday morning after a kitchen fire triggered a fire alarm in the structure at 700 NE Campus.

    Firefighters were called to the multi storied house on the edge of campus just before 6 am.   Firefighters said the fire was confined to the kitchen range and it was extinguished for the most part by the hood extinguisher and sprinkler system.

    Fire prevention officer Rich Dragoo said the fire started when some members did some cooking early Sunday morning and then apparently left the stove on and went to bed.   The fire melted the pans on the stove and ignited a significant amount of built-up grease collected in the range and in the vent hood.  Dragoo said most of the fire was extinguished by the hood extinguisher but it was hot enough to also activate a sprinkler in the kitchen.  He said a fraternity member also used a fire extinguisher on the blaze.

    Although a number of fraternity members heard the alarm and exited the building, firefighters had to awaken six members and lead them outside to safety.  There were no injuries.

    Dragoo said there was a minimal amount of structural damage.  The fire was confined to the range and hood and that would require replacement.  All the fraternity members were permitted back in the residence but they will be ordering out until the range is replaced.

--PFD—