PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR
Kevin Gardes, P. E.
325 SE Paradise Street
Pullman, WA 99163
The Department of Public Works provides the following municipal services: engineering and public works inspection, building inspection services, street maintenance and operations, sewage collection and treatment system maintenance and operation, water system maintenance and operation, transit services, city fleet maintenance, and maintenance of government buildings.
The Department provides these services with a 2006 staff of approximately 74 full-time and 12 part-time employees and a 2007 operations budget of approximately $12,000,000 and a capital budget of approximately $12,000,000.
The organization of the department divides work responsibility among six operating divisions: Engineering, Protective Inspections, Maintenance and Operations, Equipment Rental (ERD), Transit, and Government Buildings.
Engineering Division and Protective Inspections Division
The Engineering Division and the Protective Inspections Division are responsible for:
- Planning, programming, design, inspection and contract administration of all public works construction contracts. (Engineering Division)
- Traffic engineering. (Engineering Division)
- Keeping records on land divisions, street systems, utility systems, , and city property ownership maps and easements. (Engineering Division)
- Enforcing building code and related development codes. Keeping records for property building activity. (Protective Inspections Division)
- Designing reviewing, approving, and inspecting all public improvements contructed by private developers. (Both Divisions)
Maintenance and Operations
The maintenance and operations division is responsible for:
- Maintaining street system including traffic signals, markings and signing, steet cleaning, roadway and storm drain maintenance, and snow and ice control.
- Maintaining water system including wells, reservoirs, pump stations, distribution lines. Meter reading.
- Maintaining sewerage system including collection system and pump stations.
- Operating the wastewater treatment plant and disposal of sewage solid wastes.
Equipment Rental Division (ERD)
- Purchasing, maintaining, and accounting for all city vehicles.