Examples of gifts
Major individual gifts
- Distributions from the Shirrod Family Memorial Fund made possible the construction and maintenance of the Neill Public Library Shirrod Heritage Addition.
- Gerald Lawson deeded 13 acres for the botanical park--Lawson Gardens--and established a trust for its construction and perpetual maintenance.
- Terre View Park (Ed & Mary Schweitzer), Petry Natural Area (Glenn & Melodie Petry), Itani Park (Rafik & Mary Sue Itani) and Mary’s Park (Herbert Neil) are a few examples of generous individual gifts of property.
- A basketball court was constructed at McGee Park to honor Steve & Patrick Ryan, two brothers who were killed apart in separate accidents.
- Lawson Gardens terrace walkways were improved in memory of Alvin Chandler.
Service club donations
- Kiwanis have provided funds for park playground equipment, crime prevention materials, library furniture, and more.
- Lions placed “Heart Friends” benches through the city, constructed picnic shelters and contributed funds for the gazebo at Reaney Park, and more.
- Rotary has donated funds for the Lawson Gardens rose garden, path improvements, library picture books, downtown benches, and more.
Private business donations
- SEL Wayside Garden is a Grand Avenue Greenway Beautification project — a most generous gift of SEL dollars and employee volunteer efforts.
- Bill’s Welding provided a concrete retainer for beautification plantings on South Grand Avenue.
- Since 1983, Pullman Civic Trust has been instrumental in creating a healthy, prosperous, and sustainable community through projects that enhance the natural and man-made environment.
- Reserve firefighters respond to emergency calls and participate in community service events.
- Reserve police officers work alongside full-time officers in various law enforcement capacities.
- Friends of Neill Public Library conduct volunteer projects to meet library needs.
- The Grand Avenue Greenway Committee has been beautifying Grand Avenue since 2000.
- Numerous groups and clubs participate in beautification and maintenance efforts throughout the city.