Vandalism involves the deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property. Vandalism includes graffiti, removal/damage of signage or ornamentation, breaking of windows, smashing of lights, or other defacing of property. Most vandalism is the result of boredom, anger, revenge, defiance, or alliance; most often committed by young people.
Vandalism is a crime. Here are some tips for prevention:
1. Clean up vandalism as soon as it happens. Replace signs, repair equipment, remove graffiti.
2. Report vandalism to law enforcement.
3. Improve lighting conditions to deter vandals.
4. Assist your neighbors in keeping your neighborhood safe.
5. Use gates, fences, and other means of discouraging through traffic.
Information about graffiti and reporting is available here.
Vandalism & The Law:
Washington State Chapter 9A.48 RCW