Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 October 2014 10:32
500 NW Larry Street - 509-338-3290
Welcome to Pullman Aquatics Lessons!
The Pullman Aquatic & Fitness Center (PAFC) has been teaching the Pullman community how to swim and stay safe in the water for over 14 years. Our goal is to provide students with the skills necessary for a life-long enjoyment of the water. We are proud to release our newly revamped swim lesson program. PAFC provides a safe and comfortable learning environment for you and your child. You will be amazed at you and your child’s improvement with consistent, year-round lessons that are available to everyone!
Important Information for Swim Lessons:
- Payment is required at time of enrollment.
- Swim screenings are required for participants who want to enroll in a level above Tadpole and are not currently enrolled in our program. Call 509-338-3290 for an appointment.
- Sessions are prorated beginning the 3rd week of a session.
- Late enrollment will be accepted up to midpoint of a session.
- Makeups are only scheduled when pool space is available to do so.
- Refunds will be guided by the procedure on pg. 44.
- Our goal is 100% accommodation of all wait lists.
- PAFC accepts request for instructors made at time of registration. However, we cannot guarantee that instructor requests will be accommodated.
- The swim session registration fee does not cover recreational swim before and/or after class. As always, all persons participating in recreational swim must pay the daily admission fee or use their membership card before entering the pools.
- Participants in Parent/Child classes are now required to register for a class. Drop-ins are no longer available.
- One lap lane will be available for lap swim only
- Supervision policy applies, see page 28 for details
- Goggles are now available for purchase at the front desk.
How do I register my child?
Answer the questions to help you place your child in the proper program level. Free swim screenings are required for all students not currently enrolled in our Preschool or Youth programs, with the exception of Tadpole classes. If you answer “NO” to any question, place your child in the preceding level. If you answer “YES” to all questions, your child is placed in the appropriate level. Please note: all children aged 3 through 5 must be placed in the Preschool (PS) section of the appropriate level. Ages 6 and older must enroll Youth (Y) levels. There are also (K) lessons for Kindergarten age children (5 and 6 years) in the afternoon. (See the Parks & Recreation Brochure)
1. My child
- has little or no water experience, and
- can follow directions.
Then register for PS Tadpole or Youth Tadpole.
2. My child can
- comfortably be in the water,
- float and glide unassisted on front and back for five seconds,
- travel 15 feet using beginning paddling, and
- jump in and recover to a back float.
Then register for PS Frog or Youth Frog.
3. My child can
- jump into deep water and return to edge of lap pool,
- float unassisted on front and back for ten seconds, and
- swim the length of the pool using a combination of crawlstroke and elementary backstroke.
Then register for PS Gator or Youth Gator.
4. My 5 to 6-yr-old needs an afternoon class for basic stroke improvement.
Then register for K Novice.
5. My 5 to 6-yr-old needs an afternoon class for advanced stroke perfection.
Then register for K Expert.
6. My child can
- swim 25 yards front crawl with overarm recovery,
- swim 25 yards backstroke,
- swim 25 yards elementary backstroke, and can
- tread water for 30 seconds.
Then register for Stingray.
7. My child can swim
- 50 yards of front crawl with side breathing,
- 50 yards of back stroke, and
- 1/2 pool length of beginning breaststroke.
Then register for Seahorse.
8. My child can swim
- 100 yards of front crawl with complete coordination,
- 100 yards of back stroke,
- 25 yards of breaststroke, and
- 1/2 pool length of beginning butterfly.
Then register for Trout.
9. My child wants
- a more team-oriented class,
- physical conditioning for sport swimming, or
- to prepare for a swim team.
Then register for Sterlets.
New Descriptions and levels for PAFC Swim Lessons!
We are proud to release our newly revamped swim lesson program! The progression through the swim program will result in your child being swim team ready. The Barracudas, Sturgeons, and PHS Greyhounds, are all ways to take your swimming to the next level! The same number of levels remain, however new names have been given. Follow these Guidelines in the order presented:
- All past participants stay in their same level except for Swordfish and Dolphin.
- Swordfish and Dolphin class will now be Sterlets – Pre-Team.
- Participant who are Gators that want extra practice or have a hard time swimming 25 yards stay in Gator.
- Stingrays will be for participants who were Gators, and can proficiently swim 25 yards on front and back, each independently. Stingrays are for Youth (Y) ages 6 and up.
- Kindergartners (K) ages 5 and 6 who are ready for the lap pool will register as a Novice or Expert. The Novice level is Tadpole through Gator, and Expert is Stingray through Trout.
- Children 5 years old may register for PS or K classes, and 6 years old register for K or Youth (Y).