Settlers in the area engaged in the grazing of animals, farming, mining, and trading. Enoch Bryan describes the town in 1892:
. . . around the houses scattered over the seven hills lay the commons over which the town cow peacefully browsed. College Hill, then called Mechanic's Hill, now the principal residence district, was covered with bunchgrass sod interspersed with the sun flower and lupin. There was not a tree in sight.
Former Councilmember Julia Bush's extensive compilation of Pullman Early History .