Early Morning Structure Fire

Print Email
Last Updated on Thursday, 24 April 2014 07:49

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}


Fire Department

620 S. Grand Ave., Pullman, WA  99163

(509) 332-8172    Fax (509) 332-4460




FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                             Capt. James Turpin, Incident Commander

Thursday, April 24, 2014                                Fire Chief Mike Heston

Six WSU students displaced after early morning house fire


          PULLMAN—Six Washington State University students had to seek other living accommodations early Thursday morning after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a two story structure on College Hill.

          Pullman firefighters were called to 425 Campus St.  just before midnight for a report of fire and smoke coming from the building.  The residents told firefighters they left the house around 10:30 pm and when one of the residents returned around midnight he saw the fire and called 9-1-1. He told firefighters that he took a garden hose and doused some of the fire and then entered the building to see if any of his roommates were still in the house.

          Incident commander Capt. James Turpin said when the first engine arrived he was advised by both Whitcom, the 911 dispatch center, and by a bystander that they were looking for one of the residents.   Firefighters immediately did a search through the heavy smoke of both floors and determined there was no one in the residence.   In the meantime, another crew attacked the fire in the back of the house and extinguished it.

          Firefighters found flames in the back of the house coming from the kitchen area.  The first crew in said the fire appeared to be coming from the back of the electric range.  Fire prevention officer Rich Dragoo said he believes the fire was caused by mechanical damage in the electrical cord that ran between the 220 outlet and the stove.

          There was minor water damage in the kitchen area but there was smoke damage throughout the first floor and some smoke damage to the second floor. Dragoo estimated the damage at close to $20,000. 

          There were no injuries.  Several of the residents were concerned over their projects that were due in the morning but they were able to retrieve their work for classes and their projects appeared to be safe.  The students who lived in the residence were making arrangements to stay with friends and were contacting their rental manager. 


(Written by Glenn Johnson, PFD/PIO)